Blinds – Child Safety
- For Child Safety Apple Blinds is committed to meeting the safety requirements of all current child safety legislation.
- Apple Blinds promotes the safe use of blinds and will fit a safety device on all blinds it installs.
- Apple Blinds continues to source new products with child safe properties
- If you have an Apple Blind product supplied before the implementation of this legislation please contact us and we will install the relevant safety device FREE OF CHARGE next time we are in your area.
- If you have any safety concerns with any of our products please contact us for help or advice.
- If you want further information on any blind safety issue please contact your local Apple Blinds Representative.
Child Safe Blinds
All our blinds are supplied with safety devices but for added Child Safety an inherently child safe blind type can also be selected:
- Spring Roller. Spring Rollers are Child Safe as they have no looped cords or chains. The traditional spring roller has served the test of time for generations and now offers an ideal Child Safe solution in domestic situations.
- Perfect Fit Rollers. Are again child safe and come with an ingenious frame that clips into your window. Please ask your Acme representative for information.
- Motorised Blinds are another Child Safe option and at Acme Blinds we offer a full range of Mains and Low Voltage motorisation and convenient and economic Battery options.
- Rollers, Verticals, Romans Venetian and Pleated blinds have all been motorized by Acme engineers and offer ease and safe operation for years to come.
- We also supply a Child Safe WAND OPTION which simplifies the operation and eliminates the cord and chain loop.
- Pleated blinds in a Perfect Fit frame or in a Tensioned format again offer a smart modern finish with a simple to use safe operation.
Legislation update : March 2014
The cords of window blinds and curtains can pose a risk of strangulation to children. Cord loops on roller blinds, venetian blinds and vertical blinds can cause injury or death particularly to children under the age of three.
At Apple Blinds we understand the full importance of protecting your little ones.
Consumer Guide to the Safety of Window Blinds
The National Consumer Agency has responsibility for alerting consumers to product safety issues and ensuring that manufacturers, importers, distributors and retailers place safe products on the market.
Here are guidelines to help you make old blinds or curtains safe:
- Never put a cot, bed, high chair or playpen near a window or patio door where a child can reach a curtain or blind cord
- Keep sofas, chairs, tables, shelves or bookcases away from windows to prevent children climbing up and reaching curtain or blind cords
- Cords ending in a loop are particularly risky. Cut the cord to get rid of the loop and install tassels
- Do not knot or tie the ends together after cutting the cord – this creates a new loop in which a child could become entangled
- The cords should end at least 1.6 metres (5 feet 3 inches) above the ground so children cannot reach them
- Replace cords with curtain or blind wands, but avoid possible eye injuries by making sure children cannot reach them
- Where cords cannot be cut, a tie down or tension device can be used to pull the cord tight and secure it to the floor or wall
Apple Blinds will fit safety devices free of charge for any past customer that requests it.